RIF, deferred annuity and military buyback


Q. I am a career employee with just over three years of civil service. I bought back 10 years of military service. If I am affected by a reduction in force before I reach five years of civil service, would I still be eligible for a deferred annuity when I’m 60? If I don’t qualify for FERS, does that mean I wasted the money spent for the military buyback?

A. You would need to have five years of actual FERS service to be eligible for a deferred annuity. If you wanted to return to government service, you could leave your contributions in the retirement fund. If you weren’t planning to do that, you could ask for a refund of your contributions, which would be paid to you with accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply