Deferred retirement


Q. I’m 52 and have almost 34 years of federal service under CSRS. If I were to resign, would my retirement start at age 60? Would health insurance start, as well, at age 60?

A. Yes, you could apply for a deferred retirement. No, you couldn’t re-enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply