Workers' compensation


Q. I have been receiving workers’ compensation since 1977 as a partially permanently disabled person. Four years ago, I started getting Social Security disability, so the two combined is still not much. The Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs sent me a letter that my workers’ comp check may be reduced because I am turning 62. I only get $400 from them and my SSD amount is not changing, as it is just going to be called Social Security now instead of SSD. Same amount of stipend, so why are they taking away what little bit I get? Nothing has changed except my age.

A. That reduction at age 62 was the result of the Workers’ Compensation/Public Disability Benefit Offset Provision. To find out how that works, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply