FERS creditable service


Q. I am a Veterans Affairs Department employee. I am almost 61. I plan to retire when I am 62. I worked for six months at another VA location in 1996 and 1997, then quit. I worked outside VA for 1½ years) I took out my Thrift Savings Plan (bad move — it was only $150). And I paid taxes out of it.

I have tried without success over the past year to find out from human resources if I get credit for service at the other location. I will have 17 years of service. Six more months would be nice.

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’ll get credit for that time. If you got a refund, you’d have to redeposit that amount plus accrued interest to get credit for it. Note: Retirement contributions are the amount that is automatically deducted from your salary each pay period, not the amount you contribute to the TSP.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply