Enroll in Medicare?


Q. I’m looking to retire within the next year after turning 60. My wife and I are in excellent physical condition with no medical conditions. I’m the only one who works in the federal workforce. Once I turn 65, should I consider enrolling in Medicare or just stay with my Federal Employees Health Benefits (currently with Blue Cross/Blue Shield)?

A. You should keep your FEHB enrollment and enroll in Medicare Part A. It will be free because you’ve already paid for it through payroll deductions. Whether you should enroll in Part B is up to you. You’ll need to compare the cost with the benefits, keeping in mind that your current health is only part of the equation. You also need to consider what your future needs might be.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply