Leave of absence


Q. I’m a Forest Service officer assigned in D.C. searching for guidelines as to whether I could take leave without pay or a leave of absence from my current position to be with my children.

Is there a maximum on number of days/months/years I could request from my position? If yes, where can I find more specifics, and what will be the implications? I’ve been told that I could take up to a five-year leave of absence from the government but cannot find any information on how to proceed.

A. There’s a fact sheet on LWOP at www.opm.gov/policy-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/leave-without-pay.

As you will learn, there are a few situations where approval is guaranteed. Approvals of any situation that falls outside of those are at the sole discretion of your agency and your supervisor.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply