Q. I am a GS-11 with the Department of the Air Force. My service computation date is July 2007. I was just notified that I may lose my position to another GS-11 whose position falls under a reduction in force. The issue I have is this employ was offered a GS-09 position which is sitting vacant in my section, which he declined to take. So I am now losing my position and am being told I will be moved into the GS-09 position while the RIF’ed employee takes my position. This makes me think I don’t have to take the bump to the GS-09 and can take someone else’s position and knock them down to the GS-09 position. I am an 0080 but was an 0083 prior to this.  There is an 0083 GS-11 position with a service computation date of 2009 which I would like to take instead. Am I eligible to bump that position and take it? Is that an option?

A. Assessing the correctness of an action in a particular case falls outside the boundaries of this forum. You need to start by familiarizing yourself with the rules that govern a RIF. You’ll find what you need at www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/reduction-in-force. Once you have that under your belt, you can visit your agency personnel office and see if those rules were properly applied in your case.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply