CSRS Offset


Q. I am a retired federal employee under CSRS Offset, where my Social Security kicks in at age 62 and my CSRS is reduced. Am I allowed, or is it beneficial for me to file for Social Security benefits at age 60 since my husband is deceased?

A. You are allowed (and it’s beneficial for you) to file for a survivor Social Security benefit. Because you are a CSRS Offset employee, the government pension offset provision of law won’t apply to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply