Rehire and creditable service


Q. If I separate from service after four years and withdraw my FERS contributions, then I am rehired some years down the road, can I put my four years of withdrawn contributions back in to increase my years of service for FERS? If I leave the FERS contributions in and am rehired, will the four years count in that case?

A. If you leave your contributions in the retirement fund and then return to work for the federal government, it will be as if you never left. If you ask for a refund of your contributions, when you return, you’ll have to redeposit what you took out plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply