Retirement eligibility


Q. I have more than 17 years of federal service and contributed to both CSRS and FERS. My information:

Sylvia S. Garcia

Age: 56

Federal service:

CSRS — Fort Sam Houston, TX:  2/1981 – 9/1986 (GS-318-05)

CSRS — Kelly Air Force Base, TX:  9/1986 – 9/1996 (GS-318-04)

FERS — Department of Transportation/Federal Aviation Administration (FV-318-D)

I withdrew my retirement contributions when I left Kelly AFB but did not withdraw my contributions when I resigned from Fort Sam Houston (and know they weren’t included in my refund), nor when I left DOT/Federal Aviation Administration. Please let me know what my options are as I am medically disabled at the moment and possibly indefinitely due to my illness.

A. Assuming that you haven’t received a refund of all of your retirement contributions, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. If you are unwilling to wait that long, you can apply for a refund of whatever contributions are left in the retirement fund. Doing so would cancel any future entitlement to an annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply