Special retirement supplement


Q. I was collecting the special retirement supplement for over a year when a good job came open. I took it. I reported my excess earnings about being over $15,500, and they stopped my supplement. But now the job has gone away. Can I start receiving the supplement again? If so, will it start automatically? Or do I have to notify someone?

A. Yes, you can receive the supplement again. While you had to report earnings over the annual limit, you don’t have to report anything when they drop below the limit. The Office of Personnel Management will find that out when it matches its files with those of the Internal Revenue Service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply