Disability retirement


Q. My agency is proposing my removal of federal service due to my condition, which I have had since being hired in 2002. They claim I am “unfit for duty based on my Family and Medical Leave Act paperwork from my physician.” Am I qualified to claim disability retirement?

A. You can’t claim disability retirement. You can only apply for it, which is something you ought to do. Your agency personnel office is required to help you do that.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply