Annual military reserve training and creditable service


Q. I was active Army for two years and Army Reserve for 14 years. I bought back the two years. Can I also compute and buy back the annual active training including service/months in schools? If so, do I have to show orders and honorable discharge from the Reserve? I am a civilian employee for the Defense Department with 13 years of actual employment.

A. If those periods of annual, two-week active duty for training (ANACDUTRA) occurred while you were an employee, you’ve already received credit for them because you remained in a pay status. Periods before that time and extended periods of time for which you were put in Leave Without Pay-US may be creditable with the payment of a deposit. To find out more about what is and isn’t creditable, go to

To verify any periods that are creditable, you’ll have to get the proof from your branch of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply