FERS creditable service


Q. I tentatively plan to retire in 2014 at age 59 with 30 years of FERS creditable service. I am applying to become a Peace Corps volunteer after retirement. I understand that Peace Corps volunteer service is creditable under FERS. I am wondering if I can have my FERS annuity recalculated after Peace Corps service to include that additional time (typically two years).

A. No, you can’t. Peace Corps service performed after retirement is never creditable.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply