Law enforcement retirement


 Q. I resigned from a federal Series 1811 law enforcement officer position several years ago. The resignation from federal employment was prior to obtaining 20 years of service and while I was younger than 50. The mandatory retirement age for my position is 57.

At what point can I apply for the deferred annuity payment, and will that payment be reduced by 5 percent for each year that I am younger than 57? Also, how do I apply for the annuity? Whom do I contact — the Office of Personnel Management? My agency? And will I need to supply any type of documentation regarding my employment (SF-50, etc.)?

A. You could apply for a deferred retirement at age 62. You’ll find everything you need to know and be able to download the needed application form at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply