Retirement withdrawal


Q. I am 31 years old and have been employed by the Veterans Affairs Department under FERS for the past 10 years and 10 months. I resigned from my position because I unexpectedly had my third child and, for a few months, I was told I could drop down to part time. Then I was told that was no longer possible two months before the start of my maternity leave. Since cutting down my hours was no longer an option, I had to resign, and submitted the paperwork to withdraw my retirement. It took three months of waiting, and over a month of daily calls to the Office of Personnel Management before finally getting a call back about my refund to find out I’m not getting any of the portion that the government has paid into it. Is there anything I can do about this?

A. No, there isn’t you can do about it. By law, you are only entitled to the contributions you made to the retirement fund, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply