Recovered from FERS disability


Q. I am recovered from the disability for which I obtained my FERS disability retirement. Should I send my retirement papers along with a letter from my doctor to the Office of Personnel Management retirement section?  I am 57 with 21 years of FERS civil service, and I bought back six years of active duty. I have been on FERS retirement since 2007.

A. Go to print out the application form and complete it. Before sending it in, call OPM’s customer service line at 888-767-6738 to get the actions started. The Retirement Information Office is open daily from 7:40 a.m. Eastern time until 5:30 p.m. Eastern time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply