Temporary time buyback


Q. I am a FERS employee who will have 30 years of permanent GS employment in December 2015. I have six months of temporary time as a GS employee, which would move my 30 years to April 2015. Can I buy back the temporary time? If so, how do I start this process?

A. If that temporary service was performed before Jan. 1, 1989, you can make a deposit to get credit for it. If it was performed on or after that date, you can’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply