Windfall elimination provision


Q. I retired under CSRS after 26 years of service. I worked for six years before my federal service and have been working and paying Social Security for the past nine years. If I put in 20 years under Social Security, will I still be affected by the windfall elimination provision?

A. Yes. You would have to have 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security to be exempt from the WEP.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply