Early retirement and special retirement supplement


Q. I retired a year ago with 28 years of civil service. I took an early-out, so I was 48 years old at retirement.  My minimum retirement age would have been 56. Do I have to wait until I am 56 to receive the special retirement supplement? Is there any Social Security supplement I can receive now?

A. You won’t be entitled to the special retirement supplement until you reach your MRA. And no, there isn’t any Social Security supplement you can receive now.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply