First-year rule


Q. I retired in 2013 at age 56. I receive the special retirement supplement, and my income from the Postal Service totaled approximately $17,000. Since that is above the maximum Social Security earnings test of $15,120 for 2013, will I need to submit Form RI 92-22 although it was my first year of retirement?

A. Go to and, after reading about the “first year rule,” use the calculator included on the site to see if you are on or off the hook.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply