Requesting survivor annuity


 Q. I am a federal retiree (June 2012), and recently remarried. I want to provide my new spouse with survivor benefits. How do I enroll her? I have been trying to call and/or contact the Office of Personnel Management via the Internet and phone for months and have not been able to get any help.

A. All you need to do is write a letter requesting a survivor benefit to OPM at the following address:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Retirement Operations Center

P.O. Box 45

Boyers, PA 16017

They will send you an election letter, along with the cost of providing that benefit. If you want to proceed after seeing the cost, you sign the form and return it to OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply