Reporting a death


Q. My father-in-law worked for the Federal Aviation Administration for many years. When he died, my mother-in-law continued to receive his pension. She passed away Tuesday. What does the family need to do?

A. You need to report your mother-in-law’s death to the Office of Personnel Management. You can call them at 888-767-6738 or write to OPM, Retirement Operations Center, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply