Filing a claim due to injury


Q. I will be eligible for retirement in approximately 14 months. Early on in my career, I injured both of my knee on different occasions. My knee bothers me to this day. Is there a way to file a claim for service-connected injuries similar to what is available when exiting the military? If so, where can I find more information?

A. As a rule, claims for benefits under the federal Employees Compensation Act need to be submitted in a timely manner on a Form CA-1, available at All you can do is fill one out, send it in and see what happens.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I have had a spinal discectomy and fusion I also work for usps, how do I apply for disability retirement do I wait to get the application from my employer or do I request it on my own? Thank you

    • Your agency is responsible for helping you to complete the application process. To start that process, you’ll need to complete Standard Form 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement, and Standard Form 3112, Documentation in Support of Disability Retirement.

Leave A Reply