CSRS redeposit tax deduction


Q. I withdrew my CSRS for a bit of service with the Postal Service in 1990. I then was rehired by the Postal Service and have just retired. I redeposited $2,818 to make my annuity about $100 more per month. That withdrawal didn’t affect my years of service, just the annuity amount. Can I deduct that redeposit somehow from my federal tax return for this year?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Tracey Carson on

    I paid both a CSRS deposit and redeposit right before my retirement was processed last year.
    Is it true that neither the CSRS REDEPOSIT nor the CSRS DEPOSIT can be deducted from federal taxes?
    Thank you.

Leave A Reply