VERA and severance pay


Q. I began working for the Defense Department in 1981. In 1993, I took a Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay. I received severance pay at that time. I came back to work in 1998. My adjusted service computation date is 1987. I have 26 years with DoD, and I am 52. If a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority is offered and I apply, provided I am approved, would I receive severance pay minus the amount I received in 1993 or none at all?

A. By law, the amount of severance pay a separated employee is entitled to is limited to one year’s pay at the rate of pay received immediately before separation. If you previously received severance pay and were eligible for a second time, your entitlement would end once the sum of the two severance periods reached 52 weeks.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply