Military buyback and taxes


Q. I was active-duty military for 10 years. I bought back this time in one lump sum of cash from my civil service job. I fall under FERS. I would like to know if that contribution to buy back my time is considered a pension/retirement contribution and can be claimed on income tax calculations.

A. No, it can’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply