Life insurance


Q. I have been retired from CSRS since 2004 with 34 years of service. It is my understanding that I have $25,000 in life insurance to be paid to my beneficiary when I die. That will most likely be my wife. How should she go about claiming the life insurance?

A. Your widow would need to call the Office of Personnel Management at 888-767-6738 to report your death. The retirement specialist who answers the phone would help her take the steps necessary to claim your life insurance benefit and any other benefits to which she might be entitled.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply