FERS disability annuity


Q. I recently turned 62, and my FERS civil service disability was converted to a retirement annuity. Before being disabled I had worked civil service for approximately nine years of continuous service. I also had nine years of service in the military. Can I draw any Social Security retirement since my annuity will be substantially less than what I believe my Social Security would be?

A. Yes. Now that your FERS disability annuity has been converted to a regular annuity, you are free to apply for a Social Security benefit based on all your years of Social Security-covered service.


About Author

Leave A Reply