CSRS retirement


Q. I am a CSRS covered Title 32 Technician with 30 years’ service.  I am being involuntarily separated militarily due to failure to pass the PT test.  Due to the loss of my military status in the National Guard, I will also lose my technician position.  I am 53 years old.  Can I retire under CSRS and collect my retirement annuity immediately (with a penalty) or do I have to wait?

A. You would be entitled to a CSRS disability annuity. For the details, go to http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c046.pdf and scroll to Section 46A4.1-1C.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply