Annuitant considering rehire


Q. I retired from the federal government in 2007, receive an annuity and would like to come back to work for the federal government as a rehire. Federal job applications have a section entitled “Who May Apply.” If the position advertises for “United States Citizens,” am I eligible to apply as an annuitant?

A. Assuming that you are a U.S. citizen, yes. Just be aware that as a rule, the salaries of reemployed annuitants are reduced by the amount of their annuities.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply