USPS pension


Q. I worked for the USPS 1987-1996. Is there a pension for me that I’m not aware of that will be available me at retirement age? I cashed out my savings plan that I was contributing to when I was working, but I am referring to a pension that I may have become vested in. This would be great news, but where do I find out?

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’d be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 62. To claim that benefit, complete a copy of form RI 92-19, Application for Deferred or Postponed Retirement, available at, and send it to OPM two months before your 62nd birthday.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply