FERS retirement


Q. I am FERS with a minimum retirement age of 56. I resigned from the government last year at age 50 with 25 years of government service. I am now 51 years old. Can I get a reduced FERS annuity right now with a five percent reduction for each year that I am under age 62?

If the answer is no, what is the minimum age at which I can begin to receive FERS retirement benefits. And what percent of my high-3 would I receive?

A. No, you can’t get an annuity now. The earliest you could get one is when you reach your MRA, which is 56. Although you’d be entitled to 25 percent of your high-3, because you’d be retiring under the MRA+10 provision, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply