Buyback on terminal leave


Q. I have 28 years of active-duty service in the Navy. I am on terminal leave and just started working as a civilian federal employee. Can I buy back my military service while on terminal leave to get credit in the federal service without losing my military retirement once my terminal leave is over and I am fully retired from the military?

A. You can make a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service at any time. If you do, it will have no affect on your military retired pay while you are a federal civilian employee. You would only need to waive that pay when you are ready to retire from your civilian employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply