Disability retirement


Q. I am an injured postal worker and I have many  conditions that  have accrued as a result of my past 12 years at the Postal Service carrying mail. I just met with the surgeon who did my last carpal tunnel surgery, and he told me that I should start exploring my options and consider medical retirement. Where do I begin to start the ball rolling and who do I need to get in contact with to help me through this difficult time?

A. Download a copy of Standard Form 3112 (Documentation in Support of Disability Retirement), available at www.opm.gov/forms. Take it to your personnel office, which is responsible for helping you complete the form and guide you through the application process.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Have you ever seen or heard of a U.S. Postal Police officer getting FERS disability? There isn’t
    much information on any websites. I assume they are (me) treated like regular postal workers.

Leave A Reply