Retirement funds


Q. I was forced into applying for retirement, being on Workers’ Compensation and was “separated in 2002 with 25 years of service. I am 70 and still on Workers’ Compensation. I would like to withdraw my retirement lump-sum. Can  I still keep my life insurance that is deducted? I understand if Workers’ Compensation stops paying me, that I wont be allowed back on retirement if I do this. But I could not live on the amount anyway and I do need the money now.
A. Unfortunately, there is no provision in law or regulation that would allow you to receive a refund of your retirement contributions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Great site! this is all so confusing to me now that i am 65 and on Fed Work Comp. I have over 40 years with Post Office and been on work comp for 10 years still under Doctors care mental injury. Is there a person or private company out there that I can call to explain things to me and help guide me? thank you!

Leave A Reply