Child turning 26


Q. I am a federal retiree and my wife is a federal employee. I pay for family coverage under FEP Blue. When our only child turns 26, should we both go to individual coverage?

A. That’s entirely up to you. You’ll need to compare the premium costs with the co-pays, deductibles and catastrophic limits which will apply to both enrollments.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply