Career change


Q. I worked for the post office for 12 years (1988-2000). I resigned and now work in law enforcement. When I retire from my job at age 55, will I receive a retirement check from the post office as well for the years I worked there?

A. If you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’d be entitled to a deferred FERS annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I worked for the US Postal Service from 1990 to 2000 and also bought back my military time of 4 years. I am now working for a county government and they suggested to check with the Postal Service or OPM to see if I will draw a pension before trying to buy the time and add it to my county job. Am I eligible for a pension? I read a previous post where you stated that you could not withdraw your contributions. I did not take my TSP contributions out when I left.

    • I don’t know what you read. You could have withdrawn your retirement contributions when you left the federal government. If you did, you canceled all entitlement to a future federal annuity. If you didn’t, you could apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. You could or can do whatever you want with your TSP contributions. Your decision would have no affect on your annuity.

Reply To David Kiser Cancel Reply