Deferred retirement


Q. I currently have 11 years of service in the government under the FERS program. I am considering leaving the government in early 2015 due to relocating for family. It is my understanding that I can apply for deferred retirement once I reach MRA which is 56. Is this correct? I am currently 54.

A. While you would be eligible for a deferred retirement when you reach your MRA, your annuity would be reduced by 5 percent for every year you were under age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply