Military pensions


Q. I was medically retired due to a war-time injury. Is there an exception that allows me to keep my military pension and also count my civilian time?
A. Only if you were awarded the retired pay on account of a service-connected disability either incurred in combat with an enemy of the U.S. or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war. That determination cannot be made either by your agency or OPM. It will have to be made by your branch of service. Even if your injury meets the definition above, you would have to make a deposit to the civilian retirement system to get credit for that period of service in your civilian annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply