Qualifying for SRS


Q. I have been a 30-year employee at a VA medical center. I will have reached my MRA at the time of retirement at 56. I was hired at full time but I changed to part time in 1988. Do I still qualify for the SRS, and if so, how is it calculated?

A. Yes, you’d be entitled to the special retirement supplement. To estimate how much that would be, use this formula: multiply your estimated Social Security benefit at age 62 by your total years of FERS service, rounded to the nearest whole year. Then divide the product by 40.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply