Returning to government employment


Q. I voluntarily retired in February 2014 and would like to come back to the federal government. Can I? If so, what do I have to do?

A. There’s nothing that would prevent you from returning to work for the government if you can find an agency that wants to hire you. A good starting point would be your former agency. Other than that, you can go to and search for positions that would be a good fit and apply for them. Just be aware that with rare exception, the salary of your new position would be reduced by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply