Early retirement options


Q. I am a a CSRS employee. I have a year and six months until I am eligible for retirement. I am an only child and need to help with my aging mother. Do I have any options as far as leaving earlier?

A. If you left before being eligible to retire on an immediate annuity, your only option would be to apply for a discontinued annuity at age 62. If you elected to do that, you wouldn’t be able to re-enroll in either the FEHB of FEGLI programs.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply