Going back to work for the federal government


Q. I retired at the age of 45 and began receiving a CSRS annuity. I went to work for the state of Virginia and retired at the age of 62 and 6 months and began receiving Social Security. My CSRS annuity was offset once I became eligible to receive Social Security. I’ll be 66 this September, I’m still working and was considering re-employment with the federal government. Will my CSRS annuity or Social Security be affected if I become employed with the federal government?

A. If you were reemployed by the federal government, the salary of your new position would be offset (reduced) by the amount of your CSRS annuity. Whether you remain in CSRS Offset or elect to be covered by FERS, you’d continue to receive your Social Security benefit. Either way, Social Security deductions would be taken from your pay and result in your Social Security benefit being increased over time based on that new period of employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I retired from the VA Medical Center in 2014 and receiving a pension. Am I able to go back to work at the VA and so call “come out of retirement?” I realize pension would cease but is this possible?

    • Yes, if your agency wanted to rehire you. Whether your annuity would be stopped or your pay reduced by the amount of your annuity would depend on the nature if your retirement.

Leave A Reply