Erroneous coverage?


Q. I understand that the Federal Erroneous Retirement Coverage Corrections Act addresses situations like mine, where I started federal service in 1980, took a break in service from 1983 to 1986 to attend grad school, then returned to federal service in 1986. When I returned, I asked if I could re-establish CSRS. I was told I could not and that I had to go on FERS. Was I eligible for CSRS offset, even though I only had 3 years of CSRS prior to December 1987?

A. No, you weren’t eligible. Because you had fewer than 5 years of CSRS service before January 1, 1987. You were correctly placed in FERS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply