Survivor annuity


Q. I just married someone who will receive a USPS pension in three months. What should we do now so that I will receive something after he dies?

A. You would be entitled to a survivor annuity if two conditions are met. First, he would have to elect a survivor annuity for you and have his annuity reduced to pay for it. Second, your marriage would have to last at least nine months before he died. Note: An employee is required by law to make a full survivor annuity election for a spouse when he retires, unless the spouse agrees in writing to a lesser amount or none at all.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply