About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I become a Federal employee in September 2016 under FERS-FRAE, code KF. I transferred to another agency in May 2019 under FERS code K and just realized the error. Will I have to pay the difference of 4.4% vs 0.8% from May 2019 – November 2019? Also is FERS and FERS-FRAE annuity calculated the same for a deferred annuity (5 years of Federal service?

    • Yes, you’ll need to have the error corrected and pay the difference. FERS and FERS-FRAE annuities are calculated inexactly the same way.

Leave A Reply