Q. I am 46 years old with 27 years of civil service. I would like to retire now under FERS. How does this affect the FERS base annuity and FERS supplement? My MRA is 56 years old, plus 10 months. How much of a reduction will I receive?

A. Unless you are offered an early retirement opportunity by your agency under the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, you aren’t old enough to retire now. You could only resign. If you did, you’d be entitled to a deferred annuity at age 60. That annuity would be calculated using the standard formula: .01 X your high-3 on the day you left X your years and full months of service. Because you’d be receiving a deferred annuity, you wouldn’t be entitled to the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I was in the National Guard from 1993-1999. I joined the Army Reserves in 2000 and was activiated July 2002. I was medically retired due to wounds I received in combat. My DD214 shows Net Active service of 2 years 7 months and 12 days. My federal civilian service comp. date has been adujusted to reflect this period.
    My question refers to Total Prior Active Service section of the DD214, mine has 1 year, 1 month, and 16 days. According to 1-6. Creditable Uniformed Service 1-6-2-B, ” Active duty is full time duty in the Armed Forces. In the Reserves this would include active duty for training but not weekly or monthly assemblies or drills. National Guard duty must be active duty in the service of the United States under title 10. ” However, in 1-6-b-2-a, the uniformed services retirement was based on disability that either resulted from an injury or disease received in the line of duty as a direct result of armed conflict or was caused by an instrumentality of war and was incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined in sections 101 and 301 of title 38, United States Code. I am being told by HR that I must have a DD214 for each period of active service. I was never given a DD214 for my annual training.
    Should my civilian service comp. date be adjusted to reflect the Total Prior Active Service line or do I lose that time? Thank you for your time.

    • Here’s what OPM had to say when I forwarded yur question to them:

      “Sometimes the active duty for training IS notated on the DD 214. Otherwise, I have also seen a plain old letter. Best thing for the agency HR office is to bring up the subject when counselling. It can always be listed as claimed creditable service on the Certified Summary. And the HR office can always do some development for the proof.”

Leave A Reply