Q. I have been separated from federal service. How do I find out what my refund balance is? How do I find out if my application for a refund is being processed?

A. You can find the total amount of your contributions to the retirement system on line 19 of your last pay and leave statement. Unfortunately, there is no way to find out at what stage in the process your refund is. You can, of course, ask your former agency’s payroll office to let you know when and to whom they sent your paperwork.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply