Discontinued service retirement


Q. I am 52 years old with 30 years of federal service under my belt. There is a possibility my agency will do away with my position. What are my options should this happen? I am not in a position that I can relocate to another area. Will I lose my FEHB if my position is abolished and I cannot find another federal job? Will I be eligible for immediate retirement even though I don’t meet the MRA requirement? FEHB is the only health insurance I have. My husband does not have a health insurance plan. Do I still qualify for the FERS Supplement if I retire?

A. If your position was abolished and there is no other position available for you either at that location or one within the commuting area, you’d be eligible both for a discontinued service retirement and, when you reach your minimum retirement age, the special retirement supplement. You would also be entitled to continue your FEHB coverage into retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply